Paleomagnetism of carbonate sediments from Hole 1006A, Bahamas Transect, Leg 166

Online Access: Get full text
doi: 10.2973/odp.proc.sr.166.129.2000
Author(s): McNeill, Donald F.; Kislak, Jason I.
Ocean Drilling Program, Leg 166, Shipboard Scientific Party, College Station, TX
Author Affiliation(s): Primary:
Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science, Comparative Sedimentology Laboratory, Miami, FL, United States
Other:
Ocean Drilling Program, United States
Geological Survey of Japan, Japan
Johann Wolfgang Goethe-Universität, Federal Republic of Germany
University of South Carolina, United States
University of Hawaii, United States
CNRS-Centre de Sédimentologie et de Géochimie de la Surface, France
University of Bourgogne, France
University of Michigan, United States
Rice University, United States
University of Sydney, Australia
Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory, United States
Vrije Universiteit, Netherlands
Nova University, United States
University of Edinburgh, United Kingdom
ETH-Zentrum, Switzerland
University of East Anglia, United Kingdom
University of Houston, United States
Christian-Albrechts-Universität zu Kiel, Federal Republic of Germany
Akita University, Japan
University of Copenhagen, Denmark
Leicester University, United Kingdom
University of Maine, United States
Volume Title: Proceedings of the Ocean Drilling Program, scientific results, Bahamas Transect; covering Leg 166 of the cruises of the drilling vessel JOIDES Resolution, San Juan, Puerto Rico, to Balboa Harbor, Panama, sites 1003-1009, 17 February-10 April 1996
Volume Author(s): Swart, Peter K.; Eberli, Gregor P.; Malone, Mitchell J.; Anselmetti, Flavio S.; Arai, Kohsaku; Bernet, Karin H.; Betzler, Christian; Christensen, Beth A.; De Carlo, Eric Heinen; Déjardin, Pascale M.; Emmanuel, Laurent; Frank, Tracy D.; Haddad, Geoffrey A.; Isern, Alexandra R.; Katz, Miriam E.; Kenter, Jeroen A. M.; Kramer, Philip A.; Kroon, Dick; McKenzie, Judith A.; McNeill, Donald F.; Montgomery, Paul; Nagihara, Seiichi; Pirmez, Carlos; Reijmer, John J. G.; Sato, Tokiyuki; Schovsbo, Niels H.; Williams, Trevor; Wright, James D.; Lowe, Ginny
Source: Proceedings of the Ocean Drilling Program, scientific results, Bahamas Transect; covering Leg 166 of the cruises of the drilling vessel JOIDES Resolution, San Juan, Puerto Rico, to Balboa Harbor, Panama, sites 1003-1009, 17 February-10 April 1996, Peter K. Swart, Gregor P. Eberli, Mitchell J. Malone, Flavio S. Anselmetti, Kohsaku Arai, Karin H. Bernet, Christian Betzler, Beth A. Christensen, Eric Heinen De Carlo, Pascale M. Déjardin, Laurent Emmanuel, Tracy D. Frank, Geoffrey A. Haddad, Alexandra R. Isern, Miriam E. Katz, Jeroen A. M. Kenter, Philip A. Kramer, Dick Kroon, Judith A. McKenzie, Donald F. McNeill, Paul Montgomery, Seiichi Nagihara, Carlos Pirmez, John J. G. Reijmer, Tokiyuki Sato, Niels H. Schovsbo, Trevor Williams, James D. Wright and Ginny Lowe; Ocean Drilling Program, Leg 166, Shipboard Scientific Party, College Station, TX. Proceedings of the Ocean Drilling Program, Scientific Results, Vol.166, p.123-127. Publisher: Texas A & M University, Ocean Drilling Program, College Station, TX, United States. ISSN: 0884-5891
Note: In English. Data report. 6 refs.CD-ROM format, ISSN 1096-2514; WWW format, ISSN 1096-7451; all chapters are also available on the included CD-ROM and on the Web in PDF format; illus., incl. 2 tables
Summary: Paleomagnetic analyses from discrete samples of carbonate sediment from Hole 1006A were completed to assess the nature of magnetic remanence and to evaluate the use of directional data for a magnetic reversal stratigraphy. Magnetic remanence in these carbonates was moderate to weak but was stable enough to reliably identify polarity in 26.7% of the samples. The remaining 73.3% samples were judged either too weak or unstable, or else they exhibited a very steep inclination interpreted to be the result of some type of drilling overprint. Thus, magnetic polarity data from Hole 1006A should be used with caution. The nature of magnetic remanence and some reconnaissance acquisition tests suggest that single-domain magnetite (with some possible alteration to maghemite) is the dominant source of the remanent magnetization.
Year of Publication: 2000
Research Program: ODP Ocean Drilling Program
Key Words: 12 Stratigraphy, Historical Geology and Paleoecology; Alternating field demagnetization; Atlantic Ocean; Carbonate sediments; Caribbean Sea; Cenozoic; Demagnetization; Isothermal remanent magnetization; Leg 166; Magnetic susceptibility; Magnetization; Magnetostratigraphy; Marine sediments; Mineral composition; Natural remanent magnetization; North Atlantic; ODP Site 1006; Ocean Drilling Program; Paleomagnetism; Remanent magnetization; Reversals; Sediments
Coordinates: N242359 N242359 W0792733 W0792733
Record ID: 2001002890
Copyright Information: GeoRef, Copyright 2019 American Geosciences Institute.